Topics

sticky California Delegate Information

Amar Patel <amar.patel.asp@...>

California Delegate Candidates can share their information here for voters:
California Candidates for 4 seats
Desmond Silveira Esther Nickell Jeff Culbreath Skylar Covich Mark Ruzon

Skylar Covich

Hello fellow CA delegate candidates,
Joyce Phan wants to set up a Zoom meeting, ideally for Sat May 30 at
11 AM. Are you available?

Mark, I especially hope you will respond here; this was posted on
Facebook before.
Skylar

--
Skylar J. Covich, Ph.D., Political Science

Esther Nickell

I shared my info to the West Delgates thread. I think I should have put it here. My apologies!

Below, I have copied and pasted my delegate statement. I also added a bit of biographical information and a bit about the Statement of Principles, which were not included in the website version of my statement. Hope this is helpful!
I am a 27 year mother of 3 with a bachelor's degree in Classical Studies from UC Davis. I have worked as an office assistant for the state in the Department of Water Resources, as a program manager/student admissions co-director at a small non-profit, as a concert production manager for a women's choir, and currently as a part-time teacher at a Catholic high school in Dixon, CA.
Regarding the SoP, I don't have a strong opinion either way as to whether or not we need one. I do think we should not spend a lot of time on it at the convention. I am happy to do a simple yes or no vote on one or two versions, but after that we should move on to other things. For instance, many people support the major parties with a sort of "good enough" attitude. If people are going to support a disorganized fringe group, they are going to pick one that aligns 100% with their views (or start their own!). We need a coherent plan to move from the "disorganized fringe group" category to a party that people are willing to support even if they disagree with parts of the platform. That is to say, we need to have some name recognition, some viability, and some efficiency to our processes. Outlining a clear path forward is key. Part of that will be allowing local chapters both the freedom to operate somewhat independently as well as the support of other chapters and the SNC in the form of sharing resources and information effectively.
Hello! My name is Esther Nickell. I am a California native (born and raised in Davis) and have been following the growth of the ASP since around 2015. Normally, I would be more comfortable with a less public role, but I signed up to be a delegate candidate because at the time, there was only myself and one other person on the list for the whole Western region. There are more candidates now, but I am still willing to step forward if selected for the job.
I come from a family that has always been at least somewhat involved in politics. Traditionally that has meant the Republican Party. However, I no longer feel able to support most of the candidates I see on the Republican ticket and was delighted to discover an alternative. At this stage in the life of the party, I believe we need to focus on outreach and making ourselves both accessible and viable. Most people I know who share my views have not heard of the ASP. In addition to running our own candidates, it is important to make endorsements and publish opinions for as many elections as possible - local, state, and national. In this way, the ASP could still be influential for people who would not be willing to “take the risk” of voting for a third party candidate, but who share our values and care what we as a party say.
Going forward, the National Committee should prioritize giving local chapters the tools they need to succeed. There is so much leg work that needn’t be done by each chapter individually and having an effective and organized way of sharing our efforts with each other will be critical to the growth of the party. There is so much the ASP has to offer. However, if we don’t consolidate our resources and streamline our communications, we will never take off.
There is so much enthusiasm and sincerity among the ASP members. As a person who has worked in administration and organizational work, I believe that what I can bring to the table will allow that enthusiasm and the truths that we rightly espouse to flourish.

On 5/16/20, Amar Patel <amar.patel.asp@...> wrote:
> California Delegate Candidates can share their information here for voters:
> California Candidates for 4 seats
> Desmond Silveira Esther Nickell Jeff Culbreath Skylar Covich Mark Ruzon

--
Skylar J. Covich, Ph.D., Political Science

Mark Ruzon

Thank you for thinking of me, Skylar.  I am very happy to meet with others at that time.  Hopefully the details will come this way as well.

Also, here is my reposted candidate statement.

Hello!  My name is Mark Ruzon, and I want to represent you at this year’s national convention.

The main reason I am running is to move the party in the direction of building power while remaining true to our principles and maintaining respect and decency for those with differing opinions.

And what is power?  For a number of years I was a leader with Peninsula Interfaith Action (PIA), part of the PICO Network (now Faith in Action), a faith-based community organizing non-profit.  PIA taught me that power is “the ability to act,” and is neither good nor bad.  Our party has a philosophy and a platform that resonates deeply with my worldview.  What we lack is the ability to act to translate that platform into meaningful political change.

My experiences with PIA have given me insights that will help me advocate for the changes needed to bring this about.  Within a month of joining PIA, I was founding a committee at my church, which soon became a member.  I learned how to have effective one-to-one conversations with friends and neighbors to understand local issues that mattered.  I attended meetings with city council members, county supervisors, and state legislators.  I helped organize and spoke at action meetings where we asked our officials to commit publicly to specific plans for addressing local issues.  My own committee played a role in creating the Palo Alto Opportunity Center, which provides permanent housing and drop-in services for the homeless.

After a year of leadership within my church, PIA asked me to join their Board of Directors.  A year after that they appointed me co-chair.  During my tenure our charismatic founding executive director retired, and I co-chaired the search committee that hired an interim executive director before settling on a permanent replacement.  I am qualified to select members of the National Committee who will get things done.

Since we’ve already selected a presidential ticket, the purpose of this convention is to set the goals that we want the National Committee to achieve in the next year, including the fall election, the best time to build momentum as a party.  These goals should not be focused on drafting high-level statements; we already have a platform and our four principles to do that.  Instead, I want to focus on practical goals like nominating candidates for office, helping bring about change in specific areas of legislation, and increasing political participation by our members.

Because I had experience through PIA in gathering signatures for a California ballot proposition, it was easy for me to organize local signature gathering to support Desmond Silviera’s 2018 gubernatorial campaign.  If we set goals for volunteering during this fall’s campaigns, and put in the work to achieve them, it will be easier for party members to envision running for office themselves, and they will know where to find experienced people willing to help run their campaigns.  If we can make progress in jurisdictions that are, for example, considering ranked choice voting, it gives our party more chances to compete against Democrats and Republicans.  We must make these ideas into priorities.

If this plan sounds good, then I’m the person to carry it out on your behalf.  Vote for me.

Bio:

Mark Ruzon was born in Illinois and grew up Republican.  He graduated valedictorian of the University of Southern California School of Engineering with a B.S. in computer science and later received his M.S. and Ph.D. from Stanford University, also in computer science.  During that time he became a pro-life Democrat.  He is currently a Senior Software Engineer for Google, working on the processing of satellite and aerial imagery used in Google Maps and Google Earth.  He has held numerous leadership positions in multiple parishes and is a graduate of the Institute for Leadership in Ministry in the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Jose.  He lives in Mountain View, California, has been married to his wife Lesley for 23 years, and is the father of four children ages 12-19.  He found the ASP while reading an article in America magazine and hasn’t looked back.

Joyce Fan Rice

Thanks for posting!

Skylar Covich

Meeting link for 11 AM
https://zoom.us/j/99497712108?pwd=VE9FZTN6YVlqa2hCU1dmUit5YkZ3Zz09

ID (if needed): 994 9771 2108
Password: Carroll20

https://faithinaction.org/ ) ), a faith-based community organizing

https://www.lifemoves.org/directory/opportunity-services-center/ ) , which
[...]

Desmond Silveira

Hello ASP of CA!

Here is the Zoom video of this mornings delegate Q&A, hosted by Joyce Fan Rice. Thanks Joyce for hosting this event!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h8SWjHghr7XAPR55FVWmJ0Out9k4We4F/view

Mark Ruzon

I very much regret missing this meeting.  It is not indicative of my enthusiasm for the party or for meeting more of its members.

I hope to meet with any or all of you individually before the convention.

Mark

Leslie Shaw Klinger

I missed it too.  I am sorry

Leslie Shaw Klinger OP